Woodson State Fishing Lake
GPS: N37 47.476 W95 50.728
Manager: John Johnson
In 1933 320 acres of property was donated to the Forestry Fish and Game Commission by R.B. Fegan on which to build a state lake. In 1974 the purchase of an adjoining 2,245 additional acres was completed from Robert Blair. Another parcel was purchased in 1976, which was the last parcel added to the area. This brings the total acreage of the Woodson Area to 2,885 acres.
The oak covered Chautauqua Hills which lie along the east and south side of the lake, along with the native grass covered rolling terrain to the west and north, provide a beautiful setting for Woodson State Fishing Lake. The lake itself is 180 surface acres and is located on a tributary of Big Sandy Creek, which eventually dumps into the Verdigris River. About 75% of public use on the area centers around the lake. Primary use is by anglers, however, the beautiful setting of the lake draws many campers and day users.
- Off Road Vehicle and Horse use is prohibited, including ATV’s.