WILDLIFE AND PARKS COMMISSION TO MEET JAN. 10
Public invited to attend sessions at Memorial Hall in Independence
TOPEKA – The Kansas Wildlife and Parks Commission will conduct a public meeting and hearing in Independence on Jan. 10. The public is invited to attend all sessions of the meeting, which will be conducted at Memorial Hall, Penn and Locust streets, in Independence. The afternoon session will begin at 1:30 p.m. The evening public hearing will begin at 7 p.m.
Among action and discussion scheduled for the afternoon session are the following:
- department-related action anticipated in the 2008 session of the Kansas Legislature;
- drawing of 2008 Commission Big Game permits;
- announcement of 2008 Free Fishing Days and Free Park Entrance Days;
- review of 2007 legislation and associated commission action to change deer regulations in 2008;
- workshop session discussion of public lands regulations, big game permanent regulations, weigh-in black bass tournament regulations, and 2008 fall season regulations for turkey, antelope, elk, and deer.
The commission will recess at 5 p.m., then reconvene at the same location at 7 p.m. for the public hearing portion of the agenda. Among topics on the evening agenda are the following:
- designation of firearm deer management units (KAR 115-4-6);
- revocation of archery deer management units (KAR 115-4-6a);
- revocation of the Landowner Deer Management Program (KAR 115-4-14); and
- regulation of motorized vehicles on department lands (KAR 115-8-13).
Time will be set aside in both the afternoon and evening sessions for public comment on topics that are not on the agenda. If necessary, the commission will recess on Jan. 10 and reconvene Jan. 11 to complete their business.
If notified in advance, the department will have an interpreter available for the hearing impaired. To request an interpreter, call the Kansas Commission of Deaf and Hard of Hearing at 1-800-432-0698. Any individual with a disability may request other accommodations by contacting the commission secretary at 620-672-5911.